Sunday, September 28, 2008

Up, Up and Away!

My vacation to New Mexico was all I had hoped for and more. The only problem was one which I had anticipated - and that was simply - that I did not want to come home.

Not only did I see some of the most spectacular scenery in our country, I met some very nice, interesting people - from the Native Americans of the area to fellow travelers from Canada, Houston, Amarillo, Tennessee, California and Colorado - I visited some wonderful galleries and museums, took an unbelievably adventurous hot air balloon ride, ate at one of Rachael Ray’s recommended restaurants, The Shed, drove a couple of hundred miles into the mountains and back, got a massage at a luxurious Santa Fe Spa, walked and shopped until I nearly dropped, and visited a couple of historic, picturesque old churches.

And, as if all that wasn’t enough, I nearly ran head on into movie actor Steven Seagal, who was in town to begin shooting his next movie, “The Keeper,” as I was crossing the square in Santa Fe. Then I was filmed talking to the gallery owner in Chimayo, after she was interviewed for a television news spot about how the fire that destroyed their famous restaurant Rancho de Chimayo, has affected the economy of the whole village. My portion of the piece did not make the 6 o’clock news, however. Hollywood will just have to wait a little longer.

The first day in Albuquerque was spent getting my bearings and trying to get a handle on a good dose of altitude fever, unfortunately a problem for me. The altitude there is 5,325 ft. or thereabouts - alot more than my sea level hometown.

My hot air balloon ride was scheduled for very early the next morning. The Rainbow Ryder crew picked me up at my B&B for a nominal fee and we met up with the rest of the group at the ‘field’ which was next to a bank parking lot. It was a full gondola, i.e. a super large wicker basket, into which all twelve of us climbed and stood for the duration of the ride. After the balloon was inflated it was a feat of sheer strength for our ground crew to keep it on the ground long enough for all of us fat old ladies to climb aboard. And then we were up - very quickly. Amazing! The feeling was surreal, magical and peaceful. A couple of times, we were literally suspended in air, totally immobile, while we waited for the wind to catch us again and move us along.

We were in the air about one hour and soared to a little over 1,000 feet, drifted south along the Rio Grand River and ultimately landed, spot-on where the ground crew waited for us to reverse the process, folding and loading the balloon and basket into its trailer. The landing was a bit strange and not my favorite part, but not bad at all considering. There was a slight bump, slide along the ground for about ten feet and then the basket tipped over some before we finally settled. But I’d go again anytime…except for the expense. It was definitely an extravagance.

The rest of the second day was spent at the Natural History and Science Museum and The Indian Pueblo Museum and Market where I also ate lunch.

The third day I drove to Santa Fe, located my B&B and discovered they had a Spa to which I promptly made myself an appointment for a massage at the end of the day. I figured after another day of strenuous walking and shopping, I would probably need it.

That day included an unexpected surprise encounter with actor Steven Seagal, as he and his entourage crossed the town square at the same time I did. I fumbled for my cell phone camera and tried to capture the moment…but succeeded only in getting a shot of his backside. Me and everyone else in the square.

The evening was spent on the patio at the B&B, complete with a kiva burning fragrant Pinon wood, wine and cheese and a fun group of folks from Houston.

After some last minute shopping on the square the next morning, purchasing authentic trinkets and visiting with the Indian women and men from various Pueblos, I hit the road for yet higher ground. Santa Fe’s elevation is higher than Albuquerque, but my next destination at Chimayo is even higher - about 6,200 ft. By then, however, I had my altitude fever under control.

Chimayo was a delight and the perfect way to end my trip. It’s a tiny village, with not much going on…the main attraction there is a historic church to which a reported 300,000 people make the pilgrimage every year. I spent a lovely afternoon on the church grounds, enjoying the stream running behind the church, the trees and local eatery, reflecting and genuflecting. I’m not a Catholic by trade, but figured it couldn’t hurt me. The Chimayo Inn, where I stayed, was a pleasant, peaceful, low-key, informal place where I felt instantly at home.

That afternoon I went to the only store and gallery available in town where I encountered the television camera man from Santa Fe, interviewing the locals about the fire and its effect on their economy. The charitable owner of the restaurant has been trying to find other jobs for her employees until the restaurant can be rebuilt - sometime next year - and that ended up the rightful focus of the newspot on the 6 o'clock news.

Because of this tragedy, there was no place in town to eat, so the innkeeper lady, retired from the New Mexico Transportation Department, took pity on me and made me a sandwich that evening. We had a very congenial visit as she shared the history of her birth family, Martinez, their Spanish lineage and that of the town/village.

After one last wonderful night’s rest in the mountain air, I hit the road early the next morning after having my breakfast brought to me in my room. Boy, I could get used to that. It was a long, uneventful drive back to the Albuquerque airport, and a smooth trip home except for a delayed takeoff from our stopover in Lubbock…not the ideal place to get stuck.
So long, Land of Enchantment. Hello reality in Texas.
-30-