Sunday, October 5, 2008

Blank Page

There it is. A fresh, blank page.

Another new day…sunup to sundown.

Sometimes we don’t know what we will do to fill up that day. The day just sort of evolves on its own, or maybe it drags by, while other days kind of zip past us because we’ve got a full schedule all mapped out before we even get up that morning. We may have some grand purpose or project to complete that day…a family to feed, a job to do, a contribution to make.

So it is with writing.

Sometimes I have a set of thoughts that just scream to get out of my head and onto the page, in total, from intro to close. Those thoughts may not have any particular audience in mind, other than my own self.

Other times, all I may have is a nugget of an idea and don’t know how it will manifest until I begin writing. On those occasions the words may take all kinds of twists and turns. I seem to ramble all over the place until I finally edit myself into a direction or purpose.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. But if I let it “cook” for awhile, a few hours, minutes, days or even years, when I return to that piece, I’ll edit it again, and find more meat on the bones. After more slicing and dicing, it might actually, eventually become something worth sharing. Maybe not.

Some days…and some thoughts are just better kept to ourselves.
-30-